Monday 18 November 2013

Main Feature Article Draft



Last week, Treble had the pleasure of interviewing award winning artist, Caleb Ryder. As he sat snuggled up on the “sofa of artists” drinking a cup of green mint tea, we asked Ryder all about his rise to fame; from the good times to the rough. Not to mention, we even asked all about his brand new album, Harmony.  Also, thanks to your submitted questions, we may or may not have asked about his favourite type of sushi, too.


ABOUT CALEB

Background

Caleb is an indie/alternative artist in his mid-twenties. Born in Oxford, he showed an artistic flare since his first music project back when he was six. He’s been singing since he was a kid and playing guitar for the past twelve years.

Musical History

Back in the year 2009, Caleb made his first appearance within the major side of the world of music. He appeared on MTV (yes, an artist, on MTV!) when supporting Mumford and Sons, alongside four other supporting acts. The audience screamed and cheered as he played his first EP, “Walking On the Wild Side”, and Ryder was bathing in fame by the next morning. Two months later, Glassnote Records had spotted and signed him up, and before long, he’d released his very first album with Glassnote, “Conversations With Myself”, which sold an outstanding 340,000 copies in its first week. From his first album, he was nominated for “Best Upcoming Artist” by the MTV awards, and won it with flying colours.

In 2011, Caleb was invited to join The Killers on their year long, worldwide tour. After great succession in that, Caleb has big album plans for 2012, however, after his role model, his dad, passed away in April, Ryder developed some nasty problems which made him fall into the darkness, and postpone his album release.

Hiding away in the shadows for eleven months, Ryder eventually returned and doused himself in song writing and guitar playing. This led to the completion of his newest album, “Harmony”, reflecting the darkness, the struggles, and his amazing comeback.

That’s right; he’s back, and he’s better than ever. It’s time for that long awaited interview with ‘Indie King’, Caleb Ryder.

 

Q. So Caleb, how does it feel to be back in business?

A. Man, it feels great! I’m back from the darkness, and I’m ready for action! –laughs-

 

Q. November was the release of your new album, Harmony. What would be your favourite song on the album?

A. Well, I’m the artist, so I mean I like all the songs.  –laughs- But nah, if I had to choose a favourite song, it’d probably be “The Inevitable End of Mr Mulgrew”. It’s a tongue twister, but it’s got a really neat mood to it. The lyrics tell a story about a grumpy, mean old man who looks back on his life over the years and realises what he’s done wrong. So he goes around making up for as many mistakes as he can. It’s really sad but really sweet. Just a warning, some of you guys might cry.

 

Q. The rise to fame. How’d you do it?

A. It wasn’t easy, I’ll give you that. I started out busking on street corners. That went on for like, 2 years before I was even noticed. This guy gave me his business card, and it turned out that he was actually from Glassnote Records (Caleb’s current signing) on his way to a meeting, who happened to like my style. I mean, what are the chances? So, we talked for a while before he got me signed to them on a smaller deal. I played a few gigs with their help, before releasing an EP 6 months later. It gained way more listeners than we thought, so they took me in on a more serious deal. 1 year later, and here I am.

 

Q. So, obviously you had that dark patch in your life last year; looking back, what does it feel like?

A. Well, before the release of Harmony, I was kinda just falling into that dark place, and it was just getting to the point of no return, so this album really saved me, you know? I mean, last year was tough. I had my passing of my dad, the mental problems; it was insane. Looking back though, I always had music there with me, and that was where it all started. I began working on some rough ideas, which became drafts, which turned into songs that were eventually performed in the studio. That was the birth of Harmony, the best thing that ever happened to me.

 

Q. Okay, time for the fun stuff. We heard you like sushi, what’s your favourite kind?

A. Damn guys, I can only pick one? If I had to choose, I guess it’d be maki rolls. They’re just too good. But then again, California rolls though! No, I can’t choose! Gah!

 

Q. What are your top two films, Caleb?

A. Well, I really love all those Japanese animations. My favourite animation has gotta be The Cat Returns by Hayou Miyazaki. It’s the cutest film, like, ever. So watch it. My favourite film physically acted though? This may surprise some people, but I really love Drive by Nicholas Winding Refn. It’s just so perfect. I’m usually not one for all that action stuff, but Drive is an exception. The soundtrack is also wonderful.

 

Q. Favourite artist/band?

A. I have quite an eclectic ear, so I like most music, but if I had to choose? Well, then I’d say I’m a huge fan of Florence & the Machine and Alt-J. They’re both so chilled and cool. Their music always makes me feel so relaxed. How can anyone feel anger when there’s beauty like that in the world? I don’t get it. Personal opinion though, I guess.

 

Q. So, back to Harmony, give the readers one good reason why they should buy your new album.

A. Well, it’s filled with songs with real meaning and lyrics that tell a story. If you enjoy chilled and indie music, then it’s at least worth a listen. I hope you guys all enjoy it.

 

You can purchase Caleb Ryder’s new album, “Harmony” on sale in stores now. You can also catch Ryder on his “Album Release Party” on November 21st at the London Academy, which will be streamed on our website on the night. Go to www.treblemusic.co.uk for the stream, album sneak peeks and more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment